Saturday, June 10, 2006

Frippery? Stuff and nonsense!

Wriggling my way back to the keyboard to post my outrage, OUTRAGE! at the apparent trashing of poor Eunny's Graceful post of a few days back. I guess most of the comments agreed with her, but she received a few rather nasty ones, some not-so-nice blog entries on the subject, and what she describes as "unbelievably vituperative emails from invalid addresses."

I KNOW she said not to comment supportively (didn't want to fish for compliments), but damn it all, I had to:

****

It makes me so sad and angry that your quest for quality and personal expression (in your own blog, no less) has been ripped down like this. I'm at a complete loss.

I laughed when you used the word "frippery" because it sounds JUST like something I'd say. Please know that there are many folks out there who are under the age of thirty and find it perfectly acceptable to balance forward-thinking tech savvy and progressive inquiry with old-fashioned values like politeness, solidity, good grammar and things that aren't "cheap." (For the record, I'd much rather buy a well-made pair of wool dress pants at Goodwill for $4.99 than spend $50 at the mall for predistressed khakis with weak seams. Blecch.)

Your attention to detail and construction results in timeless, well-made, NON-STODGY garments that may be treasured for a long time.

Don't back down, you! You're a beacon of hope for those of us upset with the sea of bad choices out there. I treasure your entries because they bring me that much closer to moving off the fashion "grid".

****

I realize that I am hardly one to talk, as I sit here in my elastic-waistband Adidas track pants which have rarely been used for actual athletic endeavour. And I'm a prime offender in the "wear jeans to work" category. But you know what? In an age where clothing isn't built to fit my body type, I still take a great deal of pride in finding things that fit (more or less... no guarantees on accidental belly-baring, but at least I TRY). And on special occasions, you can bet I'll dress appropriately and well. I love performing because sometimes I get the chance to really gussy up. Why else would I own the same number of evening gowns as pants? I pine away for the day in the future when I get invited to snooty charity functions. I think it makes things more fun when I DO dress like a schlump all the time but manage to break out the goods every once in a while. It's like when Kaylee bought that pink confection on "Firefly" -- love that Cinderella feeling.

(Also, regardless of outfit, I am on a quest to bring back the wearing of hats. Who's with me?)

So boo on the haters. *shakes fist*

In a side note, I was reading in the comments how many people not only loved the pink thing in the picture (as did I, described in the post immediately preceding this one) but immediately referenced (as did I, uh, again) a Go Fug Yorself post about Faye Dunaway. (Picture in question to be found at the bottom, below the fug.) I had to bite my fingers and obey my own advice to stop from immediately posting in the Knitting LJ about that one. "ZOMG U GUYZ. beige swetr so pretty. how u knit smocking????"

2 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Great post. And great name! My daughter is "Suzannah" so I had to follow the link from your comment on Eunny's post. Nice to see the expanded version here. :)

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Tipper said...

I'm totally with you on the hat thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home